Our Commitment To Privacy
At the North American Herbal Incense Trade Association ("NAHITA"), we are committed to protecting your privacy online. Our pledge is to safeguard any personal information that you provide us, and to make every reasonable effort to use this information only as you choose. We at NAHITA are taking a leadership role in assisting our visitors and other businesses in understanding the importance of using your personal information appropriately.
Scope of This Notice
The goal of this Privacy Notice is to advise you of the online privacy practices of NAHITA owned websites and to describe the choices you have about the way the information collected on this site is used. For information about other offline data collections, use the contact information noted below.
- On our co-branded sites (such as those sites where NAHITA has presented content together with one of our partners or affiliates) a privacy notice unique to that site may be presented.
- Private sites (such as those only available to dealers and distributors) and sites created for our employees (or prospective employees) may also have privacy notices unique to those sites.
- Sites maintained by NAHITA subsidiaries and affiliates, although linked to keepitlegal.org, have their own online privacy notices.
Your Personal Information
NAHITA's primary goals in collecting personal information about you are, first, to give you a meaningful, enjoyable, and personalized website experience and, second, to facilitate the development of new products and services relevant to you. Personal information also allows us to provide better service to you by tailoring our communications to match your interests- deliver more of what you want and less of what you don't want.
Here are the types of information we gather.
Information You Explicitly Provide:
In order to establish your account, register for services, or to participate in various online programs offered through keepitlegal.org, you will be asked to provide certain personally identifiable information to us such as your name, mailing address, e-mail address, and phone number. You can choose not to provide this information, although refusing to do so may exclude you from participation in some of our services or offerings.
Information We Automatically Collect:
We use common internet technologies such as cookies and beacons to ensure the integrity of our site and to customize portions of the site for you.
Cookies: Cookies are small pieces of information stored by your browser on your computer's hard drive, at a web site's request. NAHITA cookies do not contain any personal information, but are used primarily as follows:
- to keep track of temporary information. For example, cookies allow us to keep track of the the last time you logged in so that the website may show you what information is new since you last visited;
- to register you in programs, such as NAHITA Membership. Cookies allow us to remember you when you login to the places on our site that require Membership;
- to remember your country and language preferences;
- to help us understand the size of our audience and traffic patterns;
- to collect and record information about what you viewed on our Web site and what you viewed in our e-mail; and
- to deliver information specific to your interests.
Web Beacons: We also place small "tracker gifs" or "beacons" on many of the pages on our website, in online advertising with third parties, and in our e-mail. We use these beacons, in connection with cookies, to collect non-personal data on the usage of our site including but not limited to the date and time of the visit, the pages visited, the referring web page, the type of browser (e.g., Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer), the type of operating system (e.g., Windows, Linux, or Mac), and the domain name of the visitor's Internet service provider (e.g., AOL). This information is collected about thousands of site visits and analyzed as a whole. This information is useful in, for example, tracking the performance of our online advertising such as online banner ads and to determine where to place future advertising on other web sites.
Information from Other Sources: We sometimes obtain additional information about you, such as demographic and lifestyle information, from other sources and merge it with information we have collected on this site, as well as information you may have provided offline. We use this information as stated below.
Using your Information
NAHITA only uses your personal information to conduct business with you. Some examples include:
- registering you in programs
- creating and maintaining accounts
- processing, fulfilling, and following up on deliverables
- answering your e-mail
- communicating with you
- sending friends, families and colleagues information on your behalf
- sending surveys
- registering products
We also use this personal information to provide you with information related to your account, the products or services you purchased from us, to better understand your needs and interests, to improve our service and to personalize communications.
Does keepitlegal.org Share the Information It Receives?
Your personally identifiable information will not be rented or sold to any third party. NAHITA may share your personal information as follows:
- Companies who work on our behalf: From time to time, we may contract with other companies to perform business support functions on our behalf, which may involve limited access to your personal information. We require these companies to use the information only to provide the contracted services; they are prohibited from transferring the information to another party except as needed to provide those services. Some examples of these business support functions include direct mail, customer surveys, and information systems management. We also may make aggregate non-personal information available to select service providers.
- NAHITA's subsidiaries and joint ventures: A subsidiary or a joint venture is an organization in which NAHITA owns at least a 50% interest. If NAHITA shares your information with a subsidiary or joint venture partner, NAHITA will require that they not transfer your information to another party for marketing purposes or use your information contrary to your expressed choices. If you have indicated that you do not want to receive any marketing information from NAHITA, we will not share your information with our subsidiary or joint venture partner for their marketing purposes.
- Co-branded and Partner Pages: NAHITA may share information with partner companies who jointly present special offers or promotions on co-branded pages within our site. You will be notified of this sharing when you are asked to furnish personal data on such a page. The partner's use of any information you submit will be governed by the partner's own privacy notice, which you can review before submitting your information.
- Business Transfers: NAHITA reserves the right to transfer your personal information in connection with the sale or transfer of all or a portion of our business or assets. If the business is sold or transferred, NAHITA will give you an opportunity to tell us not to transfer your personal information. In some cases, this may mean that the new organization will not be able to continue providing to you the services or products that NAHITA provided.
- Law Enforcement: NAHITA may disclose personal information to third parties without your consent for any of the following reasons: to comply with any law, regulation or court order, to cooperate with Government investigations, to help prevent fraud or to enforce or protect the rights of NAHITA or its subsidiaries.
- With Your Consent: In all other cases, NAHITA will obtain your express consent before sharing your information with third parties. For example, NAHITA may conduct a joint offer or contest with a third party and you will be asked whether your personal information should be shared with that third party.
Your Choices about Receiving E-mail
NAHITA may send you e-mail about your orders or your account and in response to your questions. NAHITA and its subsidiaries may also send you e-mail with information and/or special offers about products and services that may be of interest to you, unless you indicate you do not want to receive them.
We will give you an opportunity to let us know your preference regarding the receiving of promotional e-mail when you register for a service, when you provide us with your personal information, or when we send you e-mail. If you choose not to accept this promotional e-mail, you may not receive special offers that may be of value to you. This option applies to promotional e-mail only, as we may find it necessary to send you e-mail relating to your account or other services we are currently providing to you.
Promotional e-mail that you receive from NAHITA will tell you how to decline receiving future promotional e-mail.
Protecting Your Information
NAHITA implements a variety of administrative, managerial, and technical security measures to help protect your personal information. NAHITA has Internal Control Standards which relate specifically to the handling of personal information. These include certain controls to help safeguard the information we collect online.
NAHITA employees are trained to understand and comply with these controls and we communicate our Privacy Notice, practices and guidelines to our employees. However, while we strive to protect your personal information, you must also take steps to protect your information. We urge you to take every precaution to protect your personal information while you are on the Internet.
Some of our sites may enable you to participate in public services such as discussion boards, chats, and live events. Please use discretion when posting personal information about yourself when using these services. Be aware that when you disclose personal information at these sites, such as your name, member name, e-mail address, etc., the information may be collected and used by others to send unsolicited e-mail. The services are open to the public, and what you post there can be seen by anyone and is not protected. NAHITA cannot control the comments that you may receive while you participate in these services. You may find other people's comments to be offensive, harmful or inaccurate.
Protecting the online privacy of children is especially important, and those under the age of 13 are protected by federal law. For that reason, NAHITA does not knowingly permit children under the age of 18 eighteen to become registered members of our sites, or to buy goods and services on our sites, without verifiable parental consent. NAHITA does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information about children under 18.
If we ever include children under the age of 18 as part of our intended site audience, those specific web pages will, in accordance with the provisions of the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), be clearly identified and provide an explicit privacy notice; and we will provide processes to obtain parental approval, provide access to information and allow parents to request removal of their children's personal information.
NAHITA encourages parents and guardians to spend time with their children online and to participate in their interactive activities and interests.
Some NAHITA Web sites contain links to and from other Web sites and NAHITA is not responsible for the privacy practices of those Web sites. NAHITA encourages you to ascertain the privacy practices of those Web sites.
Keeping Your Information Accurate
If you are a registered member of NAHITA, you can review and update your member profile using your user name and password. You also have the option of sending an e-mail to the address noted in the "How to Reach Us" section below to request a change to your information or a copy of the personal information we have collected about you online. There may be a nominal charge for information requested. We will make every reasonable effort to make sure your requests are met. To protect your privacy, proof of identity is required.
How to Reach Us
If you have questions or concerns about your privacy when using a NAHITA Web site, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com. Or you may contact us by mail at by writing to the address found on our contact page.
NAHITA's Online Privacy Office will work with you to resolve any concerns you have about this Notice.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
NAHITA reserves the right to modify this Privacy Notice from time to time, by posting a prominent announcement on this page or, in the event of a material change, by notifying by e-mail all customers whose personal information we have retained.
This Privacy Notice was last amended on December 6, 2010